Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

The Nutcracker




my mom and her mom - 4 generations at the ballet 

We made our annual trip to see the Nutcracker this year on December 17th.  I am always so excited to take my girls and see their faces as the dancers come on stage.  We usually go out for lunch first and I really do think that is the girls' favourite part - eating lunch at Earl's.  By the time the ballet begins, I am so excited and their excitement has faded significantly.  Sophia was not as happy to be there this year but Emma was enchanted just as I was.  I love to see the beautiful costumes, the choreography and the magic that is in the story of the Nutcracker.  I think my favourite scene is when the Snow Czarina comes and rescues Klara and Karl and returns him to his human self.  Her amazing costume, and her dance scene, along with all of the snow princesses, is just breathtaking.  I am in awe of how she is on pointe the entire time (dancing on her toes) and moving so gracefully across the stage.  What follows is dance after dance from various countries and it is so fun to watch and so energetic, all ending with the dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy - it is pure magic!  So glad we have this yearly tradition.  I know as the girls get older it will be harder and harder to have these moments together.  This is something that I hope sticks!

No comments:

Post a Comment