Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Chili Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Peach Ginger Glaze


Okay, guys.  I know I say this frequently but this recipe was good.  I ate the leftovers for dinner tonight and it was really, really good.  Still moist and tender, the glaze is sweet yet tangy and flavourful and packs a small punch from the ginger.  Good stuff, I am telling you.
Give this one a try.  Pair it with some roasted or baked potatoes and a nice vegetable and salad and it is a great way to change up a summer time favourite!


Pork Tenderloin with Peach Ginger Glaze
recipe adapted from one I found on allrecipes


1-2 pork tenderloins, about 1 lb each


spice rub:
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

glaze:
1 c peach preserves/jam (I used a small jar from my basement from my canning adventures last year)
1 tbsp BBQ sauce (any kind will do)
2 tsp freshly grated ginger root
1 clove garlic crushed/minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
a few dashes hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot and literally just added 2-3 dashes)
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, zest and juice

Mix together the spice rub and rub it over your thawed pork tenderloin.  This rub makes enough for 2 tenderloins so either cut the amount in half or just put it in an airtight container and save the rest for some chicken breasts or when you make this again which you most certainly will.  Make sure the tenderloin is well coated and then set aside for an hour at room temp or if you are squeamish, in the fridge for an hour or more (a few hours would be spectacular).
In a small saucepan, melt the peach jam and add the rest of the ingredients.  Note that if you use a spicy BBQ sauce, don't add the hot sauce unless you want it spicy.  Just thought I would put that out there.  Moving on.  Stir it all up and marvel at the smell that is coming from it - it is divine!  Now divide it in two, some for the table to spoon on top of the finished pork and the rest for glazing on the BBQ.
Heat your BBQ to medium high heat and quickly sear the outside of the pork, maybe 2 minutes on each side.  Turn the temp down to medium and then cook it another 5 minutes per side (there are about 3-4 sides on this thing, it can become slightly triangular since it is typically roundish when raw).  During the last bit of cooking time, baste it liberally with the sauce being careful to keep the heat low enough that it does not burn.  Every BBQ is different so there is not an exact temp, just watch it.  Using a meat thermometer, make sure the pork is cooked to about 150-155F or so for a nice medium doneness.  It will keep heating to 155-160f once you take it off and let it rest for 5-10 minutes, which you must do.  Just throw it under a tent of foil and work on your sides.  Slice the meat across-wise into medallions slightly on an angle and then arrange on a platter, drizzling/spooning/drowning more sauce over top.  I served mine with loaded mashed potatoes (bacon, cheddar and chives with sour cream mashed) and some garlic mushroom green beans and a nice strawberry feta mesclun salad.  We all devoured it.  I would say as far as summer meals go, this is a keeper.

Go forth and cook, my pretties ....


1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 29, 2012

    I tried your recipe it's so good. I am a food person so I try out as much recipes as I find. hehe I love food. Please visit and follow my blog, Every view and comment means a lot to me.Please leave a comment
    http://allofthatgoodstuff.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete