Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Curried Quinoa Salad


This summer we had a wonderful afternoon at a friend's home on a lake.  We went boating, skiing, jet-skiing and eating delicious food sitting around a fire.  We love having such fun friends who include us in their plans!  One of the dishes brought was a curried Quinoa salad.  It had a few things in it that I didn't care for but I loved the idea of it.  I decided to make my own version with things I actually like and it came out delicious.  You could really play around with it as well.  Try it out - you might have a new favourite.  I know I do!

Curried Quinoa Salad
recipe adapted from something I tried but do not have a recipe for and had to make it up


3/4 c quinoa
1 c water
1/2 c chicken broth
2-3 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c diced celery
1/3 c diced red apple (I used Fuji because they are sweet and crisp and just my favourite)
1/3 c diced cooked chicken breast
2 tbsp finely diced red onion, minced really
** a handful of craisins or golden raisins** optional

Place the quinoa in a medium pot.  Mix curry powder, broth and water and pour over quinoa, add salt.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cover with a lid and cook 15 minutes.  Turn off heat and let sit 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork.  Transfer to a bowl and let cool.  You can speed it up by putting it in the fridge or freezer, or just outside if you live in the frigid north like we do.  Chop apple, celery, chicken and red onion.  Toss with cooled quinoa and add craisins or raisins if you like.  I did not have either so I made it without and it was delic but I would love to add them and try it out as well.  I think the golden raisins would be perfect since there is so much crunch, and they would be sweet and chewy.  Yummy!  Serve this at room temp or cold, either way is great.  It would be an amazing side to some indian inspired food but I loved it for lunch.  Try it out today and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment