Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Pork Satay


Okay, so I am totally borrowing the above picture but it looks just like what ours looked like. Since I always forget to take pictures of our food (probably due to 4 hungry kids!), I am hoping this will be okay. (Thank you to whoever took this lovely picture - it was not me!)
We had Pork Satay tonight, a recipe adapted from the Best of Bridge book "ENJOY!". They call it Sate but call it what you will, you will also call it delicious! We served it with white basmati rice (since we were all out of brown), some steamed broccoli and a strawberry almond salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Tasty vittles, folks.

Here is my version of the recipe:

Pork Satay (based on Best of Bridge version)

1 large pork tenderloin (about 1.5-2 lbs)
1/4 c butter
juice and zest of half lemon
a few dashes hot sauce (about 1/2-1 tsp)
2 tbsp minced or grated onion (I used red but whatever you have on hand is good)
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 c soy sauce (if you can find it, use sweet indonesian soy sauce but if all you have is regular than reduce by about 2 tbsp and add in some honey or else just use bottled teriyaki sauce)
wooden skewers, soaked

In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add garlic and onion, cook 30 seconds and add hot sauce, lemon, brown sugar, spices and soy sauce. Boil about 3-5 minutes and cool.
While meat is still slightly frozen (or if it is fresh, put in freezer for approx 30 min to 1 hr until just firm), take a SHARP knife and slice about 1/4-1/3 inch thick cross wise all the way along. Place the rounds in a glass dish and pour cooled marinade over top. Either cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight or if you are like me and do not have time for such crazy preparedness, just marinate on the counter, stirring every 15 minutes or whenever you walk by and see it and remember, for about an hour or so (I think mine was there for about 1.5 hours). When you are ready to cook it, thread the rounds onto soaked skewers (the soaking will prevent large fires in your BBQ) and BBQ on med-high for a few minutes per side and then turn down the heat to medium and cook another 5-7 minutes. They really will not need much time since they are so thin and you do NOT want to overcook these tasty kabobs! If there is any left over marinade you can warm it in the micro for a minute and then brush it on while grilling, which makes it EXTRA yummy!
Seriously, I think my husband said about 8 times during dinner how good it was and ALL of my kids ate it up. Not to mention that anything on a stick is fun to eat and my kids loved just eating it right off the skewer (a funny sight from a 2 yr old!). I tried to be more civilized and pull the meat off the skewer but I must admit, I was jealous of the kids eating it like that.

Try these puppies soon - you will not be sorry!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm i'm salivating just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look delish! I don't meal plan, I am the worst. I could do a blog about what we ate for dinner last week but I don't plan my week ahead of time.
    It is one thing I would like to do, I'm sure we would eat healthier and a bigger variety of food if I did. Good for you Tam, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete