Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Banana Cake


I have been on a banana craze lately.  You already know I love them in my smoothies and they are perfect for a snack, especially for me and my crazy blood sugar issues (I have Hypoglycaemia).  Right now I love baking them into goodies.  They make things moist and flavourful and the smell of banana baked goods can't be beat!
I have a friend.  She is pretty much the greatest person you could ever meet.  This in no way means my other friends are not wonderful but honestly, if you met her, you would understand what I mean.  She is the kindest and most generous person I know.  She is the kind of friend who makes you feel like you are the most special and important person in the world.  She remembers things about you and she never hesitates to talk to someone she once knew.  People flock to her!  She would do anything for anyone, she is an amazing mom, SO much fun to be around and she bakes mean treats.  She also is super humble and would never admit to any of this greatness.  She gave me this recipe many years ago and it has made a resurgence in our house.  We LOVE it and are looking for excuses to make it all the time!  It is soft, moist, totally delicious and has the yummiest cream cheese frosting.  Make it.  You will not be sorry.  The only thing that could be better is if you had a wonderful friend like mine to share it with.  Wish I could share mine with you, she really is that amazing!!!

Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
recipe from Sarah


1/2 c softened butter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c sour cream
3 ripe bananas (brown spotty ones are best)
1-2 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1 tsp soda
pinch salt

Cream butter, sugar and eggs.  Add sour cream and bananas, mashed, and mix.  I just throw mine into the Bosch and they beat those suckers to a pulp, no problem.  Stir in vanilla.  In a small bowl, mix flour, soda and salt.  Add to batter in 3 additions, mixing just until incorporated on low.  Pour into greased, floured 9x13 pan and bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until golden and not raw in the middle.  Test it with a toothpick.  Let cool slightly.  meanwhile, make the frosting.

2 c confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
8 oz cream cheese, soft
1/2 c soft butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
milk to thin

Mix the first 4 ingredients until smooth and fluffy.  Add enough milk to desired consistency, basically just smooth and spreadable.  I usually end up adding a Tbsp or two.  Spread on still warmish cake (NOT hot) and let cool to room temp.  Serve it generously, trust me when I say you will be wanting more!

Go forth and cook, my pretties!

PS - this cake would be divine with a chocolate ganache frosting as well.  That is my next cake adventure for sure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment